NEWS, HISTORY AND ANALYSIS THAT MATTER TO THE SERIOUS WRESTLING FAN



5 YEARS AGO - TOP STORIES OF THE WEEK 11.07.05


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



In a weekly feature at The Pro-Wrestling Chronicle, we examine the top stories making their way around the wrestling world 5 years ago. Sources for the stories include The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, The Pro-Wrestling Torch Newsletter and 1Wrestling.

TOP NEWS STORIES for the week of: November 7, 1990.

Bret "The Hitman" Hart has officially announced his plans to retire from active competition and walk away from the wrestling business entirely. A series of concussions which likely began on December 19, 1999 against Bill Goldberg are forcing Bret Hart out of wrestling. Some doctors speculate that Hart actually may have had a concussion going into that match, which made Bill Goldberg's kick to Bret's head so damaging. Hart not letting up on his wrestling schedule made things worse, and in one of his final matches, Bret suffered ten percent brain damage in a hardcore bout with Terry Funk. Bret Hart said goodbye and thank you to his fans in a Calgary Sun Column, which began "There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning". (The 11.06.00 back-issue of Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter is highly recommended for a four page career retrospective on Bret Hart)

Owen Hart's family reached an out of court settlement with the WWF over the wrongful death of Owen Hart. The settlement was filed at the Missouri court of appeals last week, and the Kansas City Star reports that the settlement to be in the range of $18 million dollars. The World Wrestling Federation may try to sue the manufacturer of the safety harness in order to win back some of their losses. Hopefully the family of the tragically departed Owen Hart can at last find some peace.

Vince McMahon is also battling the Parents Television Council, who he feels spread erroneous information that led to advertisers pulling out of WWF programming... Davey Boy Smith was arrested on two separate occasions during the week for allegedly threatening the life of his estranged wife... Sabu and Paul Heyman have a court date settled for a suit Heyman has brought against Sabu for breach of contract.... For the first time publicly, Linda McMahon admitted that The World Wrestling Federation was interested in purchasing WCW. Though rumors have been running rampant, nothing concrete has been executed in terms of forward motion towards purchasing the company... The USA Network dropped from the number 1 cable network to the fifth most watched without the World Wrestling Federation... WWF Home Video is considering producing a fitness video geared towards women featuring Chyna... Brad Siegel was at WCW headquarters during the week. Employees are said to be very worried, but Siegel has yet to address anything in relation to the possible sale of WCW... Scott Hall was released from his WCW contract... Buff Bagwell caught some heat for saying on the radio that he likes General Rection, but doesn't think he'll ever draw money and can't understand why Lex Luger has to put him over... Paul Heyman is telling people that the USA Network has approached him about buying ECW.


0 Responses to “5 YEARS AGO - TOP STORIES OF THE WEEK 11.07.05”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


RECENT UPDATES

MONTHLY INDEX

RESOURCES


INTERACT
SHOULD BILL WATTS HAVE BEEN FORCED OUT OF WCW IN 1992 DUE TO HIS COMMENTS?
Yes, He Should Have Been Pressured Out
He Should Have Been Punished, But Not Pressured Out
He Should Not Have Been Pressured Out or Punished
MAILING LIST

NOTIFY ME OF MAJOR UPDATES

email address

STAFF CONTACT Prowrestlingchronicle@hotmail.com